Book Meme for Youyou
Kati tagged me with a book meme. Here we go! (whoops, I wrote it all in English)Total number of books in your house
I’d say some 20 metres. Fiction, arts and crafts, comics, dictionaries, cook-books... Two bibliomaniacs in a two-room apartment means too much books and too little free space (my, there's a lot of twos and toos).
The last book you bought was
Men in Knits, I ordered it from Amazon.de, but it hasn’t arrived yet. The latest non-virtual purchase is Henning Mankell’s Innan frosten. I’m trying to freshen up my Swedish by reading Swedish literature. This must be the third book I’ve bought so far in my attempt. Hopefully, this one will be the one that I actually read. I'm already in page 15 - after three weeks of trying reallyrellyreally hard. I really do like Mankell, although he tends to repeat himself: the (anti)hero is old(ish) and tired and the Swedish society is falling apart and there is awfully lot of mud in the countryside of Scania…
The last book you read was
Leena Krohn’s “Unelmakuolema” (Dreamdeath). Krohn is my guru. Tainaron should be a world-wide bestseller, but due to the language barrier it will never be. Heck, it really isn't a bestseller in Finland, either.
5(or 6) books you often read or meant a lot to you
Douglas Coupland: Life After God. My Bible.
Alan Lightman: Einstein's Dreams. Blew my mind. The book is beautiful.
Marian Keyes: Rachel’s Holiday. There surely is something to this book. It is a great description of addiction. I read a lot of chick lit just to relax, but this book is somehow more than just mere pastime. And I kind of fell in love with Rachel’s boyfriend…
Everything I know about the Finnish language I've learned from
Sirkka Turkka: Everything she has ever written.
Kari Hotakainen: All his writings. I love the sarcasm in his novels, and his poetry is very important to me.
Juha Seppälä: All his writings. Short and straight to the point. I think no other culture could have produced a writer like Seppälä. Birch-log-literature (koivuhalkokirjallisuutta) in its purest form. I don't always like his books but they always affect me somehow - and that's a lot.
Bubbling under
Maarit Verronen: I love the language and stories, but I don’t really like the narrator’s attitude, too arrogant for me.
Otavan suuri ensyklopedia (Otava’s Great Encyclopaedia), Gray’s Anatomy, Webster, Duden & Wahrig – there really is nothing important in this world you can't find in these books.
Who are you going to pass this to and why?
I’m always interested in people’s taste of books. I’m taking the easy way and tagging the two blogs listed alphabetically nearest me:
Paumau and Anne - you have been tagged.



2 Comments:
and she´s hilarious in language as well...
Kiitos, taas hyviä vinkkejä. :)
Lähetä kommentti
<< Home